Friday, February 22, 2013

Liebster Award

Little is to be found in searches on the Liebster Award. Exactly who, where, when and why, are a mystery; however, proof that this tradition has been carried out for a couple of years is apparent.

Information I have gathered in searches shows the earliest documentation in Germany 2010 ("liebster" means dearest in German). This chain letter style award has been passed from an admiring blogger to a handful of bloggers whom if are willing all pass the award on to each of their handful of nominated recipients. As vague as the history are the suggested requirements for participating. The core steps in accepting and passing this award along however have been listed consistently.
One of the many Liebster Award badges.



This award was passed onto me from Nicole Meacham author of the blog, "...by Nicole". It was a surprise and appreciated and a lot of work. The participation asked for by the Liebster Award I received is a bit more involved than other documented cases. Tempted as I was to change the course of this chain I decided to follow the instructions I received and then to pass them on to my blog choices.

So without further adieu here are the instructions, my participation and my nominees.

Instructions
1. Each awarded blogger will post 11 random facts about themselves.
2. Answer and post the 11 questions the sender has provided for you, then create 11 new questions for the bloggers you pass the award to.
3. Choose 11 new bloggers (with less than 200 followers) and pass the award (and link) to them in your post.
4. Go to their page and tell them about about the award.
5. No tag backs.


11 Random Facts About Myself
1. I am left handed.
2. Close friends and family call me by my middle name Klee [klee]. Spelling from the Swiss/German painter Paul Klee [kley] and pronunciation derived from a late close friend of the Pearson family Clee[klee] Nicoles.
3. I live up to every stereotype of the Gemini sign.
4. I have read countless books in my life however I have only finished (cover to cover) around 10.
5. Although I've recovered from a couple of long battles with vegetarianism, and I have no moral agenda with meat, I primarily eat a vegetarian diet out of preference.
6. Working for the late artist Donald Judd is in my history yet has never appeared on my resume.
7. As a child I only observed two food groups: Yellow mustard and anything red.
8. Culinary school was the suggestion of my mother and a last ditch attempt of making a professional out of me.
9.  My socks are to be neatly folded. A task I must see to personally. Any other article of clothing is irrelevant as long as it has been washed clean prior to wearing.
10. Soups were the most challenging dish for me to refine even after my classic training.
11.

11 Questions asked by blogger Nicole Meacham of '...by Nicloe':

1. How many brothers and sister do you have?
      I have a stepsister and stepbrother from my mothers marriage; Christina Johnston and Jeffry Nye.
I have a half-brother and half-sister from my fathers marriage; Kirk Pearson & Nell Pearson.
My sister, Fara Pearson who was 4 years older that me died in 1997 at the age of 30. I miss her to this day.
Are you close?
      With all of the geographic and age diversity among us we are not really close at all. We are friendly and, I am sure, interested in each other, however, time and distance have a powerful effect.
Before my sister Fara died we were more likely dependent on each other than just close. I am closest to my stepsister Christina whom is my age and lives the closest of all my family.
I like to believe my half-brother and half-sister and I would be closer if we didn't live on opposite coastlines of the country.
2. If money were no object, would you work at your same job?
Cooking & creating? I would and will always be doing something involving food. If you think about it every living organism has an obsession with food so we might as well make it a joyful one. The only thing money would change would be my need to work for others and amount of projects I would be able to enjoy at one time.
3. What is your favorite month of the year?
      I would have to say April. I love the spring and the rebirth and energy it brings. Very exciting time.
4. You can only eat 1 food for the entire week: What is it and why?
      Quinoa. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hot or cold. I enjoy the light and nutty flavor of quinoa which provides a lot of nutrients and amino acids. After the week is up I am having duck.
5. Do you have a favorite blog(er)?
      Recently I have been reading Nourished Kitchen.
      My favorite blogger/author right now is Sandor Ellix Katz of Wild Fermentation.
6. What attracted you to that blog?
      I appreciate the holistic approach and proper research that goes into Nourished Kitchen. It is honest with just enough indulgence to keep it sexy. Wild Fermentation is more of an owners manual for me right now as I am continuing to research and perfect my own fermenting.
7. Do you prefer fiction or nonfiction (book and TV)?
      I like to read nonfiction history but I prefer to watch fiction. Specifically horror and science fiction. Unless a new episode of chopped is on.
8. What is your favorite trait about yourself?
      Creativity.
9. Were you a good student in school?
      I struggled with school lacking motivation . It wasn't until I studied culinary arts at Columbia College at the age of 25 that I became driven to excel.
10. Are you a DIYer? What is your best project to date?
      I love working with my hands and I do tend to Do It Myself when it comes to most projects. At this time I would have to say making Spoiled Rotten Vinegar is my proudest accomplishment to date. The vinegar and other preserved foods which I create for Entropy the Shop on Etsy.
      I would say that my son, Elliott was my greatest DIY project to date but I have had way too much help with him (pregnancy, labor, parenting).
11. If you could write a letter to yourself at 17, what would it say?
      "Trust your voice, style and creative spirit as a viable and valuable expression for you and others.
P.S. Don't wait to tell her how you feel."

My 11 chosen recipients for the Liebster Award!
Some of the blogs I chose were more established and sites I enjoy following. Others are still building like mine which have given me support and grab my interest as a promising blog to follow. Enjoy.

The 11 questions to my nominees

1. What did you dream of becoming when you were growing up?
2. More often than not, what is your mantra?
3. Calling you out: What is (one of) your 2013 new year resolution(s)?
4. If you find yourself feeling uninspired where do you normally go in hopes of finding it?
5. What is your favorite holiday and aspect of that ritual?
6. What era most feels like the time period that suits you?
7. What is your profession? If you were to chose another career path at this time in your life what could you see yourself doing professionally?
8. What is your favorite trait about yourself?
9. If for a moment you could have the council of anyone in history who would you chose and what would you ask them?
10. How old were you when you had your first kiss? Did they are you instigate?
11. Outside of your blog what is another hobby or creative outlet you pursue?

If anyone has any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to post your interests and I will reply.

Thank you. And thanks again, Nicole M.











No comments:

Post a Comment